When I was in school studying ceramics I did an entire year long focus on glaze chemistry. Weighing and mixing and experimenting with all sorts of random chemical compounds. It was a lot of fun, but then I did have the schools fully equipped glazing lab to play in. After I graduated I couldn’t afford to mix my own glazes from base chemical compounds so I decided to try brush on commercial glazes instead. I hated them. Well, at first any way. They didn’t work like the glazes I was used to working with and every piece that came out of my kiln looked ugly to me. A little bit at a time I got used to how they needed to be applied and I started to really like the results that I got. I’ve acquired quite a collection of brush on glazes 🙂 (Well, and my friend Angi has a bunch of her glazes in my art studio as well)
The problem with the brush on glazes is how incredibly long it takes to glaze everything. When I’m doing a full kiln load of stuff I’ll end up standing out in the art studio glazing for two or three days, 10 – 12 hours at a time. So I decided to try switching to commercial dipped glazes. They come in a pre-mixed powder that I just have to add water to and then I dip my bisque pottery into them to glaze.
I mixed up four of the new glazes today. For this kind of glaze I needed a wee bit of safety equipment and a handy-dandy mixing attachment for my drill.
Having the glazes in nice open buckets to dip the pottery in is awesome! My work progress is definitely faster. We’ll see what the results are when I glaze fire this coming Monday.